The entry requirements into the Federal Republic of Germany are different according to your country of origin. Please enquire as soon as possible as to whether you need a visa or not.


Countries from which a visa is not required
Members of the EU and of the EFTA (i.e. Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) do not need an entrance visa/student visa. They neither have to register at the foreign registration office ("Ausländerbehörde") nor will they need a so-called residence permit. However, after enrolling, they must register at the governmental registration office in Mannheim (the "Einwohnermeldeamt"), just as every other student living in Mannheim has to.
Members of the following countries do not need an entrance visa/student visa either, but will have to register at the foreign residence office ("Ausländerbehörde") and apply for a residency permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis") after their arrival in Germany.


  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • El Salvador
  • Honduras
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • San Marino
  • South Korea
  • USA

Please note: When it comes to visa matters it is your nationality and not your university  that determines the appropriate procedure. Example: If you study in a European country and have a residence permit for this country but your nationality is neither European, nor are you from one of the seven countries listed above, you need to apply for a student visa in Germany. If this is the case please contact the German Embassy in your country of origin or the German Embassy in your country of studies.


Countries from which a visa is required
Students from other countries must make arrangements for obtaining a visa while still in their home country. Make sure you enquire about whether or not you need an entrance visa/student visa well in advance. In this case, entrance with a tourist visa is not allowed. Future students from most countries will need an entrance visa. Further information can be found here.

Please make sure you apply for the entrance/student visa as soon as possible at the responsible German diplomatic agency (embassy/consulate). An entrance/student visa is required for students from these countries in order to be able to enrol. An entrance visa will be converted into a residence permit for study purposes following enrolment. Converting a tourist visa into a residence permit after entry into Germany is not possible.

Incoming Exchange StudentsInternational Degree-Seeking StudentsOutgoing StudentsScholars & StaffContact