Photo credit: Elisa Berdica

Admission to an Advanced Semester

Information for applicants interested in a bachelor’s program

Application Process

  • How to apply

    First of all, apply for your chosen degree program online. Then, send us your documents by post. You can view the status of your application online at any time.

  • Allocation of study places

    Admission to an advanced semester is selective for most of our degree programs. We can only admit applicants to an advanced semester if the selective degree program in question is not full. If the number of applicants is higher than the number of study places, both the progress made in your previous program and your performance are considered in the selection process.

    Our guide to applying for admission to a bachelor’s program contains an overview of the programs available at the university and indicates where admission to an advanced semester is selective.

You Need to Submit the Following Documents

  • Application for admission form

    To apply to the university, you must complete the online application form. Once you have finished your online application, you will be able to download a PDF file containing your data control sheet. The data control sheet is only for your files.

  • University entrance qualification

    To apply you only need to upload the documents. Please note you probably have to submit a notarized copy to enroll.
    Find out more about notarization.

    If you obtained your qualification abroad, you usually need to submit a notarized copy of the document issued by the Department of Evaluation and Recognition which recognizes you qualification as equivalent to a German qualification. 
    Find out more about the recognition of foreign qualifications

  • Proof of proficiency in German

    If you do not hold German citizenship or do not have a German university entrance qualifications, you must submit notarized proof that your German language proficiency is equivalent to level C1.

  • Transcript of records

    You need to provide a transcript of records.This document proves that you have acquired specialized knowledge, and documents your grades and progression throughout the program. That’s why we can only accept original versions of transcripts bearing the stamp of the issuing institution, or notarized copies of such transcripts. Transcripts with a verification code can only be accepted if the whole document is available for download. Transcripts that are generated automatically, print-outs, or copies of transcripts that are not notarized will lead to the application being excluded from the process. 

  • Proof of previous periods of study

    We have to be aware of all periods of study that you have completed in Germany. Please provide the relevant documents of proof as part of your application. For example:

    • Enrollment Certificate
    • Confirmation of disenrollment
    • Transcript of records
    • Enrollment verification certificate

    If you have been enrolled in a degree program with similar content before in Germany, you must confirm that you are still eligible to take exams. In an application this documents is only required if you’ve already studied at a German higher education institution in Germany.

  • Confirmation that you are still eligible to take exams at a German university (if you have been enrolled at a higher education institution in Germany before)

    If you are applying for admission to the second semester or a subsequent semester of a program (i.e. an advanced semester), you must submit proof from your current German higher education institution which confirms that you are still eligible to take the exams in the degree program. You also need to provide this confirmation if you have previously been enrolled at a higher education institution in Germany and are applying for a spot in the first semester of a similar degree program.

    There is no standardized procedure for proving your eligibility. Some German institutions include a statement on the transcript of records which confirms that the student is eligible to take exams, whereas others issue a letter to confirm the student’s eligibility. We have created a document, provided below, which you can also use to confirm your eligibility.

  • Aptitude test

    Applicants to bachelor’s programs have to upload proof that they have taken an aptitude test. This document doesn’t contain your results. It just proves that you have taken the test. You can find the aptitude tests, which are only available in German, here:

    What shall I study?
    By taking the aptitude test, you can find out which programs best suit you. You’ll be given a certificate once the test is completed.
    What shall I study?

    SIT Orientation Test
    As an alternative to the aptitude test, we also accept a certificate which proves you have taken the Studium-Interessentest (SIT), an orientation test created by the Higher Education Compass.

    Career Counselling for Teachers
    If you are applying for a teacher education program or the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education, you must upload a document proving you have completed the Career Counselling for Teachers.

    Online Self-Assessment (OSA) Psych - If you are interested in our bachelor's program psychology, you have to upload the OSA-Psych.

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Proof of language proficiency

    Proof of language proficiency is required for the following bachelor's programs (further details are provided in the respective selection statutes):

    • Business Administration
    • Business Informatics
    • Current English Linguistics and Literary Studies

Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for the Correct Semester

In which semester can I begin my studies – the first, second, or third?

Recognizing Coursework and Examinations

What do I need to do to have my coursework and exams recognized?


Claudia Dörr

Claudia Dörr

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 157
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181-1199
Fax: +49 621 181-1229
E-mail: bewerbung(at)