Photo credit: Elisa Berdica

Your Application for Admission to a Bachelor’s Program

Information for international applicants from countries outside of the European Union and the European Economic Area who do not holda German university entrance qualification.

Application Process

You Need to Submit the Following Documents

  • Application for admission form

    To apply to the university, you must sign and submit the original version of your completed application form. Once you have finished your online application, you will be able to download a PDF file containing your application form from the online application portal. If you are not in Germany during the application period, we recommend that you issue a letter of authorization so that somebody you trust can act on your behalf. 

  • University entrance qualification

    You need to submit a notarized copy of the university entrance qualification which you obtained abroad (for example the Matura or Baccalaureate). Please submit a copy of your qualification in the native language of the issuing institution. We also need a German or English translation of the qualification which has been produced by a sworn translator. We can only accept notarized copies of translations.
    Find out more about notarization

    If your application is successful but the qualification which you obtained abroad is not sufficient to begin studying at the University of Mannheim, we will enroll you at the Studienkolleg Heidelberg.

  • Proof of proficiency in German

    If you are applying for a German taught program, please submit notarized proof that your proficiency in German is equivalent to at least level C1 (Goethe Zertifikat C2) of the common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). 

  • Aptitude test

    Applicants to bachelor’s programs have to include proof that they have taken an aptitude test with their application. This document doesn’t contain your results. It just proves that you have taken the test. You can find the aptitude tests, which are only available in German, here:

    What shall I study?
    By taking the aptitude test, you can find out which programs best suit you. You’ll be given a certificate once the test is completed.
    What shall I study?

    SIT Orientation Test
    As an alternative to the aptitude test, we also accept a certificate which proves you have taken the Studium-Interessentest (SIT), an orientation test created by the Higher Education Compass.

    Career Counselling for Teachers
    If you are applying for a teacher education program or the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education, you must include a document proving you have completed the Career Counselling for Teachers.

  • Proof of previous periods of study in Germany

    We have to be aware of all periods of study that you have completed in Germany. Please provide the relevant documents of proof as part of your application. For example:

    • Enrollment Certificate
    • Confirmation of disenrollment
    • Transcript of records
    • Enrollment verification certificate

    If you have been enrolled in a degree program with similar content before in Germany, you must confirm that you are still eligible to take exams

  • Proof of previous periods of study outside of Germany

    In order to account for any time you have spent studying abroad, you must provide a notarized copy of the official proof issued by the higher education institution which confirms your enrollment there. You must submit this proof in the native language of the issuing institution and a German or English translation produced by a sworn translator.

  • APS certificate

    Applicants who obtained their university entrance qualification or degree in China or Vietnam, must also provide the original version of the APS Certificate issued by the Academic Evaluation Center (Akademische Prüfstelle) in the corresponding country.

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Letter of motivation

    Your application must include a letter of motivation, written in German. In this letter, you should explain why you want to study at the University of Mannheim. It should not be longer than one A4 page.

  • Proof of language proficiency

    Proof of language proficiency is required for the following bachelor's programs (further details are provided in the respective selection statutes):

    • Business Administration
    • Business Informatics
    • Current English Linguistics and Literary Studies
  • Proof of extracurricular activities

    Extracurricular activities are worth extra points in the selection process for many degree programs. We provide standardized forms in German and English to simplify the process and give you an overview of the required details.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many applications can I submit?

    You can submit a main application and up to two applications with a lower priority. Please note that applications with a lower priority are only considered after all main applications have been taken into account. 

  • Do I have to apply using uni-assist?

    The University of Mannheim does not collaborate with uni-assist. All international applicants must therefore apply directly to the University of Mannheim. 

  • I have applied to the University of Mannheim before. Do I have to submit my documents again?

    Once the application process has been concluded, we destroy all applications as required by the data protection law. You must therefore send us all of your documents again

  • Do I have to submit all of my documents every time I apply?

    If you are applying for a spot on two or three programs, you must submit an application formwith all required documents for each program that you are applying to (a checklist is available in the application portal). 

    However, if you submit notarized copies of documents as part of application A, you do not need to submit notarized copies of the same documents as part of applications B and C. This means that by submitting a notarized copy of a document as part of application A, you can submit a standard copy of the same document for applications B and C. Just write on the cover sheet for applications B and C that the notarized copies are provided with application A and state your application ID. Then send us all of your applications together.
    Find out more about notarization

    This approach can only be used if you submit all of your applications at the same time using one envelope. You are required to submit more than one set of documents as your application is passed on to different areas of the university (for example the school, the admissions committee, and the examination committee) during the admissions process.

  • How do I apply for a spot at the Studienkolleg?

    1. First, apply for admission to your chosen degree program at the University of Mannheim. Please note that we need to have received proof that your German language proficiency is equivalent to level C1 by the application deadline (July 15).
    2. Your application documents are used to check whether your university entrance qualification is equivalent to a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany. If this is not the case, you normally have to complete a course at a Studienkolleg before you can study. This means that, if your application is successful, you will be enrolled at a Studienkolleg instead of being directly admitted to the degree program. 
    3. In order to attend the Studienkolleg, you must pass an admissions test which also assesses your level of German language proficiency.
    4. Once you have completed one year at the Studienkolleg, you can take the assessment test. Once you have passed the assessment test, you can enroll at the University of Mannheim.

    It is not possible to apply directly to the Studienkolleg Heidelberg. 
    Find out more about the Studienkolleg

  • Can I study a bachelor's program in English?

    None of the bachelor's programs available at the University of Mannheim are taught completely in English. Admission to these programs requires German language proficiency equivalent to at least C1 level of the CEFR. 

  • Can I prove my proficiency in German after the application period has closed?

    All international applicants to a bachelor's program must prove their German language proficiency at the time of application. Admission cannot be granted without this proof. All documents that are required for admission to the University of Mannheim must be received by the university before the application deadline. This means that you must prove your proficiency in German is equivalent to level C1 before the application period ends.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    If you made a mistake on your application form, you can correct it, by hand, on the printed version of the form. Please make sure any corrections are easy to read. The corrected information will then be entered into our database once we receive your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

    Please note: You cannot change the degree program(s) to which you are applying in this way. To change program, you must delete your existing application and start again.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    You can check the status of your application on the Application Management section of the portal.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Usually, we begin sending out official letters of admission to the first semester of a bachelor's program in early August.

  • What is the difference between the official notification sent out by post and the one sent electronically?

    When applying online, you are asked whether you would like to receive your official notification electronically or by post. This does not alter the content of the official notification. You will receive the same document regardless of the option you choose. 
    Receiving the notification electronically is, naturally, faster than receiving it by post. You receive an e-mail from us which informs you that the official notification can be downloaded from the online application portal. If you live outside of Germany, you should choose to receive your official notification electronically.

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for freshmen and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar


Laura Sinn

Laura Sinn

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 158
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181-1259
Fax: +49 621 181-1229
E-mail: application(at)
Christine Nonnenmacher

Christine Nonnenmacher

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 158
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181-3517
Fax: +49 621 181-1229
E-mail: application(at)