Your Application for Admission to a Bachelor's Program

Information for applicants from a country within the European Union or the European Economic Area who do not hold a Germany university entrance qualification

Application Process

You Need to Submit the Following Documents

  • University entrance qualification

    Please submit a copy of your university entrance qualification (for example the Attestat, Matura or Baccalaureate) in the native language of the issuing institution. We also need a German or English translation of the qualification which has been issued by a sworn translator.

    You will probably have to submit a notarized copy of the university entrance qualification, which you have obtained abroad for your enrollment at the University of Mannheim.
    Find out more about notarization

    If your application is successful but the qualification, which you have obtained abroad is not sufficient to take up your studies at the University of Mannheim, we will enroll you at the Studienkolleg Heidelberg.

    International applicants with international university entrance qualification can find further relevant information here. We strongly advise this group of applicants to obtain comprehensive information.

  • Proof of proficiency in German

    If you are applying for a German taught program, please submit a proof that your proficiency in German is equivalent to at least level C1 (Goethe Zertifikat C2) of the common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). 

  • Proof of previous periods of study in Germany

    We have to be aware of all periods of study that you have completed in Germany. Please provide the relevant documents of proof as part of your application. For example:

    • Enrollment Certificate
    • Confirmation of disenrollment
    • Transcript of records
    • Enrollment verification certificate

    If you have been enrolled in a degree program with similar content before in Germany, you must confirm that you are still eligible to take exams. In an application this documents is only required if you’ve already studied at a German higher education institution in Germany.

  • Proof of previous periods of study outside of Germany

    In order to account for any time you have spent studying abroad, you must provide official proof issued by the higher education institution which confirms your enrollment there. You must submit this proof in the native language of the issuing institution and a German or English translation.

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Proof of proficiency in other languages

    Proof of language proficiency is required for the following bachelor's programs (further details are provided in the respective selection statutes):

    • Business Administration
    • Business Informatics
    • Current English Linguistics and Literary Studies
  • Proof of extracurricular activities

    Extracurricular activities are worth extra points in the selection process for many degree programs. We provide standardized forms in German and English to simplify the process and give you an overview of the required details.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many applications can I submit?

    You can submit up to three applications for admission to the first semester of selective bachelor’s degree programs.

  • Do I have to apply using uni-assist?

    The University of Mannheim does not work with uni-assist. All international applicants must therefore apply directly to the University of Mannheim. 

  • I have applied to the University of Mannheim before. Do I have to submit my documents again?

    Once the application process has been concluded, we destroy all applications as required by the data protection law.

  • Do I have to submit all of my documents every time I apply?

    After you have completed the online application form, you need to upload the relevant documents.

    Please pay attention on where you upload the documents.

  • Do I need an aptitude test?

    A proof that you have passed an aptitude test is no longer required for the application to the bachelor's programs. You will have to submit it only after you have been granted an admission to a bachelor's program, during the enrollment at the University of Mannheim.

    This document doesn’t contain your results. It just proves that you have taken the test. You can find the aptitude tests, which are only available in German, here:

    What shall I study?
    By taking the aptitude test, you can find out which programs best suit you. You’ll be given a certificate once the test is completed.
    What shall I study?

    SIT Orientation Test
    As an alternative to the aptitude test, also a certificate which proves you have taken the Studium-Interessentest (SIT), an orientation test created by the Higher Education Compass will be accepted.

    Career Counselling for Teachers
    During the enrollment for teacher education program or the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education, you must upload a document proving you have completed the Career Counselling for Teachers.

    Online Self-Assessment (OSA) Psych – If you are admitted to our Bachelor in Psychology program, you have to upload the OSA-Psych during the enrollment.

  • How do I apply for a spot at the Studienkolleg?

    1. First, apply for admission to your chosen degree program at the University of Mannheim. Please note that we need to have received proof that your German language proficiency is equivalent to level C1 by the application deadline (31 July).
    2. Your application documents are used to check whether your university entrance qualification is equivalent to a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany. If this is not the case, you normally have to complete a course at a Studienkolleg before you can study. This means that, if your application is successful, you will be enrolled at a Studienkolleg instead of being directly admitted to the degree program.
    3. In order to attend the Studienkolleg, you must pass an admissions test which also assesses your level of German language proficiency.
    4. Once you have completed one year at the Studienkolleg, you can take the assessment test. Once you have taken the test, you can reapply for admission to your chosen degree program. You need to include the certificate which confirms you have passed the assessment test with your application.

    It is not possible to apply directly to the Studienkolleg Heidelberg.
    Find out more about the Studienkolleg Heidelberg

  • Can I study a bachelor's program in English?

    None of the bachelor's programs available at the University of Mannheim are taught completely in English. Admission to these programs requires German language proficiency equivalent to at least C1 level of the CEFR. 

  • Can I prove my proficiency in German after the application period has closed?

    All international applicants to a bachelor's program must prove their German language proficiency at the time of application. Admission cannot be granted without this proof. All documents that are required for admission to the University of Mannheim must be received by the university before the application deadline. This means that you must prove your proficiency in German is equivalent to level C1 before the application period ends.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    The information will be corrected in our database once we check your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    You can check the status of your application on the Application Management section of the portal.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Please take a look at our Dispatch Schedule. If you apply for a degree program where study places are allocated using the dialog-oriented service procedure (, you will receive your official notification soon after you accept your offer of admission.

  • What is the difference between the official notification sent out by post and the one sent electronically?

    There is no difference between the former notification sent by post and the new electronic one.

    You receive an e-mail from us which informs you that the official notification can be downloaded from the online application portal.

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for first-year students and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar


Aleksandra Kendzia

Aleksandra Kendzia

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 158
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181–3517
Fax: +49 621 181–1229
E-mail: application
Laura Sinn

Laura Sinn

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 158
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181–1259
Fax: +49 621 181–1229
E-mail: application