Photo credit: Elisa Berdica

Your Application for Admission to a Bachelor’s Program

Information for applicants with German citizenship and/or a German university entrance qualification

Application Process

You Need to Submit the Following Documents

  • Application for admission form

    To apply to the university, you must sign and submit the original version of your completed application form. Once you have finished your online application, you will be able to download a PDF file containing your application form from the online application portal. If you are not in Germany during the application period, we recommend that you issue a letter of authorization so that somebody you trust can act on your behalf. 

  • University entrance qualification

    If you hold a German university entrance qualification, you must submit a notarized copy of it.
    Find out more about notarization.

    If you obtained your qualification abroad, you usually need to submit a notarized copy of the document issued by the Department of Evaluation and Recognition which recognizes you qualification as equivalent to a German qualification. 
    Find out more about the recognition of foreign qualifications

  • Proof of previous periods of study

    We have to be aware of all periods of study that you have completed in Germany. Please provide the relevant documents of proof as part of your application. For example:

    • Enrollment Certificate
    • Confirmation of disenrollment
    • Transcript of records
    • Enrollment verification certificate

    If you have been enrolled in a degree program with similar content before in Germany, you must confirm that you are still eligible to take exams

  • Aptitude test

    Applicants to bachelor’s programs have to include proof that they have taken an aptitude test with their application. This document doesn’t contain your results. It just proves that you have taken the test. You can find the aptitude tests, which are only available in German, here:

    What shall I study?
    By taking the aptitude test, you can find out which programs best suit you. You’ll be given a certificate once the test is completed.
    What shall I study?

    SIT Orientation Test
    As an alternative to the aptitude test, we also accept a certificate which proves you have taken the Studium-Interessentest (SIT), an orientation test created by the Higher Education Compass.

    Career Counselling for Teachers
    If you are applying for a teacher education program or the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education, you must include a document proving you have completed the Career Counselling for Teachers.

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Proof of language proficiency

    Proof of language proficiency is required for the following bachelor's programs (further details are provided in the respective selection statutes):

    • Business Administration
    • Business Informatics
    • Current English Linguistics and Literary Studies
  • Proof of extracurricular activities

    Extracurricular activities are worth extra points in the selection process for many degree programs. We provide standardized forms in German and English to simplify the process and give you an overview of the required details.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many applications can I submit?

    You can submit up to three applications for admission to the first semester of selective bachelor’s degree programs. If study places for a degree program are allocated using the dialog-oriented service procedure (DoSV), you may only submit a main application for admission to this program.

    If study places are not allocated using the DoSV, you may submit one main application and up to two applications with a lower priority. You should note that applications with a lower priority are only processed if there are still study places available on the program in question once all main applications have been considered.

    Applications with a lower priority enable you to apply for admission to a degree program which is your second or third choice. These applications are taken into account if your main application for admission to a program is unsuccessful.

  • Do I have to submit all of my documents every time I apply?

    If you are applying for a spot on two or three programs, you must submit an application formwith all required documents for each program that you are applying to (a checklist is available in the application portal). 

    However, if you submit notarized copies of documents as part of application A, you do not need to submit notarized copies of the same documents as part of applications B and C. This means that by submitting a notarized copy of a document as part of application A, you can submit a standard copy of the same document for applications B and C. Just write on the cover sheet for applications B and C that the notarized copies are provided with application A and state your application ID. Then send us all of your applications together.
    Find out more about notarization

    This approach can only be used if you submit all of your applications at the same time using one envelope. You are required to submit more than one set of documents as your application is passed on to different areas of the university (for example the school, the admissions committee, and the examination committee) during the admissions process.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    If you made a mistake on your application form, you can correct it, by hand, on the printed version of the form. Please make sure any corrections are easy to read. The corrected information will then be entered into our database once we receive your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

    Please note: You cannot change the degree program(s) to which you are applying in this way. To change program, you must delete your existing application and start again.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    You can check the status of your application on the Application Management section of the portal.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Usually, we begin sending out official letters of admission to the first semester of a bachelor's program in early August. If you apply for a degree program where study places are allocated using the dialog-oriented service procedure (, you will receive your official notification soon after you accept your offer of admission.

  • What is the difference between the official notification sent out by post and the one sent electronically?

    When applying online, you are asked whether you would like to receive your official notification electronically or by post. This does not alter the content of the official notification. You will receive the same document regardless of the option you choose. 
    Receiving the notification electronically is, naturally, faster than receiving it by post. You receive an e-mail from us which informs you that the official notification can be downloaded from the online application portal. If you live outside of Germany, you should choose to receive your official notification electronically.

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for freshmen and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar


Jens Braun

Jens Braun

Co-Director Admissions Office
University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 157
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181-1279
Fax: +49 621 181-1229
E-mail: bewerbung(at)
Claudia Dörr

Claudia Dörr

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 157
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181-1199
Fax: +49 621 181-1229
E-mail: bewerbung(at)