Photo credit: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg

FaQs for International Exchange Students

Last update: 21 April 2021

You will find answers to many frequently asked questions on this website and in the links below. We will keep you up-to-date on the latest developments and will inform you continuously. Please also make sure to check your University of Mannheim e-mail account regularly!

Kindly monitor the central University website on Corona:

    Corona Regulations in Baden-Württemberg

  • Current Regulations (updated on 21 April 2021)

    In order to make sure that medical care for all patients can be upheld, stricter regulations have been implemented, starting on 19 April. The goal is to reduce the number of physical contacts to reduce the spread of the coronavirus. The below regulations apply to the federal state of Baden-Württemberg and Mannheim in particular. They may vary between states or cities. 

    The Mannheim Health Department has determined that there has been a seven-day incidence of more than 100 new coronavirus infections per 100,000 inhabitants, three days in a row. Therefore, the general regulations will be reinforced from 16 March 2021 onwards.

    Regulations currently in place are:

    • General mask requirement: In most public areas (in and in front of public transportation, in workplaces, in and in front of shops, while waiting in queues, all enclosed spaces open to the public, etc.) you are required to wear a medical mask (FFP1 or FFP2).
    • Mask requirement in Mannheim specifically: In addition to the general mask requirement, you are obliged to wear a mouth and nose covering in the city center on Mon to Sat from 9 am to 9 pm, on Sun from 10 am to 9 pm. On Sat and Sun it is also required to wear a medical mask in the areas of Wasserturm/Friedrichsplatzanlage, Quartiersplatz Jungbusch, Uferpromenade Jungbusch, Neumarkt, Alter Messplatz, Rheinpromenade und Strandbad from 10 am to 9 pm. Map of respective areas
      There is no exception to the mask requirement for smoking. There are only few exceptions to the mask requirement in Mannheim:
      • when eating outside (while staying stationary and keeping a distance of at least 1.5 meters to other persons, not while walking, not while waiting in lines)
      • when doing sports (running) outside, but only if it is possible to keep a distance of at least two meters to other people.
    • It is not allowed to drink alcohol in these areas in Mannheim.
    • Retail businesses may not offer click & meet, only click & collect. Grocery stores, pharmacies, drugstores, etc. will remain open as usual. Hairdressers remain open, but it is required to wear a medical mask when getting a haircut. In case wearing a mask is not possible (i.e. when getting a beard trim in a barbershop), a negative coronavirus quick test result of the same date needs to be presented. The tests needs to be done in an official testing center.
    • Museums, galleries, zoological and botanical gardens are closed.
    • Outdoor sports facilities for amateur and individual recreational sports are closed. Individual sports are allowed only alone, one other person not a member of the household, of with members of one's household. Extensive outdoor facilities such as golf courses, equestrian facilities, or even tennis court facilities may be used by multiple individuals engaged in individual sports, subject to spacing rules. Locker rooms, lounges, and other common facilities such as restrooms may not be used.
    • All gastronomic and most cultural, entertainment businesses and institutions are closed. However, some of them might offer digital, take-out, or delivery services.
    • The number of customers allowed in stores is restricted. Entry may be regulated and you are required to wear a protective mask also while queuing up.
    • In public areas, you are required to keep a distance of 1.50 meters from other people. Whenever it is impossible to maintain the required distance, please wear a protective mask
    • In public spaces as well as at home, there areextended contact restrictions: Only one household plus one other person not a member of the household, are allowed to meet.
    • Overnight stays, as well as bus tours for touristic purposes, are not permitted.
    • Vaccinated or recovered persons do not have to present a negative covid test result, but only if they can present proof that they have either been vaccinated or recovered from a coronavirus infection.

    For more detailed information

    City of Mannheim (in German) | German Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community | Integration Commissioner of the German Federal Government | Corona Ordinance of the State of Baden-Württemberg

    Coronavirus Warning App: The Corona-Warn-App helps to quickly disrupt chains of infection. It turns your smartphone into a warning system. The app informs us if we have had contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19. It protects us and others around us, as well as our privacy.
    More infromation on the Coronavirus Warnning App

  • Night-time Curfew (starting 26 March)

    The night-time curfew is in place in all of Baden-Württemberg, including Mannheim, starting on 19 April.

    • What does the night-time curfew mean?
      It is strictly prohibited to be outside between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. unless you have a valid reason.
      Valid reasons are: going to/coming home from work; seeking medical, veterinarian or therapeutic treatment; animal care (e.g. walking your dog), if there is a concrete danger to life or property.
      The authorities can fine violating this regulation.
    • Can I buy groceries/food after the curfew?
      No. Buying food is not a valid reason to go outside between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., according to the regulation. You also may not leave your apartment during those times to pick up food you ordered at a restaurant. Though, delivery service to your apartment is allowed.
    • Can I stay at my partner’s place if we do not live in the same household?
      Yes. In that case, you are counted as two separate households and have reached the maximum number of households that are allowed to meet.
    • My train only arrives in Mannheim after 9 p.m., what can I do?
      Travel for private purposes (visiting friends, buying groceries,…) have to be planned in compliance with the curfew and other regulations. In case of train delays, you are obligated to head straight home.
      In case of a valid reason for being outside after 9 p.m. you may also use public transportation during that time.
    • Can I be in Mannheim during the curfew as a resident from outside of Mannheim?
      You may only stay in Mannheim as a non-resident in case of a valid reason.
  • Which travel restrictions are in place at the moment?

    Test obligation for air entry from 30 March 2021

    If you want to fly to Germany, you have to show a negative corona test before taking off abroad.
    Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of Health.

    General Entry restrictions

    Entry and travel restrictions have been in place throughout the EU since 17 March 2020 and travel to Germany is, thus affected. Germany has since implemented the recommendation on entry restrictions by the Council of the European Union in July 2020. The list of states and regions from which unrestricted travel to Germany is possible will be updated every two weeks. The question of whether travel to Germany is permitted depends on where the person travelling has previously been staying, not on their nationality. Visa regulations are not affected by these travel restrictions – so all visa requirements (if applicable) remain unchanged!

  • When traveling to Mannheim, do I have to go in quarantine?

    Regulations on mandatory quarantine may change and may vary between states or cities. Before entering Germany, please make sure that you know the current regulations. If in doubt or if you have any questions, please contact us: incomings

    Who needs to quarantine?

    If you have stayed in a country or region that is considered a risk area, high incidence area, or area of variant of concern (with regard to the spread of the coronavirus) at any point within the past 10 days before entering Baden-Württemberg, you need to go in a mandatory self-quarantine for 10 days. This also applies if you first travel to another federal state of Germany before entering Baden-Württemberg. According to Land law you are generally required to proceed directly to your own home, or other suitable accommodation, immediately upon arrival and remain exclusively at this location for a period of 10 days after your entry into the country (quarantine). Violations can be punished as an administrative offence with a very high fine.

    A risk area is any country or region outside of the Federal Republic of Germany for which, at the time of entry into the Federal Republic of Germany, an increased risk of infection with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus exists. In a high incidence area, the number of infections with SARS-CoV-2 is particularly high. And in a country of variant of concern there is a widespread occurrence of SARS-CoV-2 virus variants of concern. The Robert Koch Institute maintains a continually updated list of the different risk areas.

    During the quarantine period

    During the 10 days in quarantine, you are not allowed: 

    • to leave your apartment without the permission of the public health department.
    • to receive visits from people living in other households.

    If you travel from a risk area or a high incidence area, the period of isolation may be shortened in Baden-Württemberg: The quarantine may end after five days if a test for Coronavirus carried out on the fifth day after entry to Germany or later is negative. You can take a test in Mannheim(or other place of residence). Only a test carried out in Germany will be accepted. The negative result must be presented immediately to the responsible authority. Please also keep the negative test results for at least 10 days.

    If you are travelling from an area with a particularly high risk or area of variant of concern of SARS-CoV-2 infection, the 10-day quarantine period cannot be shortened and you cannot be exempted from it.

    If you travel from a risk area or a high incidence area, you are exempted from the quarantine if you already contracted the coronavirus at least 21 days up to 6 months prior to the date of your arrival in Baden-Württemberg and can provide the health authorities a medical certificate confirming this. The infection needs to be confirmed by a molecular biological test by means of polymerase chain reaction (PCR test). Please note that you need to be symptom-free upon arrival in Germany.
    If you travel from a risk area or a high incidence area, you are also exempted from quarantine if you were fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 with a vaccination approved by the European Union at least 14 days prior to your entry of Germany. You are required to carry proof of your vaccination and present it to the responsible authorities upon request.

    If you are travelling from an area with a particularly high risk or area of variant of concern of a SARS-CoV-2 infection, quarantine is mandatory in any way.

    Any violation of the rules may be imposed by a very high fine!

  • Where can I get CoViD-19 updates in Germany (in English)?

    Many non-German native speakers are facing quite a challenge to stay on top of the news concerning the development of the situation of the coronavirus in Germany.

    You can find current information in English here:

    News on the coronavirus in Germany:

    German Federal Foreign Office:

    German Federal Ministry of Interior, Building and Community:

    Federal Government Commissioner for Migration, Refugees and Integration

  • Where in Mannheim can I get tested?

    If you need to get tested or are in need of medical attention in case of a (possible) infection with Corona, you can find a map with doctor’s offices which offer testing and treatment here.
    When contacting the doctor’s office, please always do so via phone first and clarify the following procedure. They will provide you with more information regarding your current situation.

    Please find the instructions for how to use the map and a list of doctor’s offices in Mannheim here.

    There is also a coronavirus test center in Mannheim where testing is available (at a fee).

  • Where to go if I feel sick?

    Should you feel sick, please consult a medical doctor – you will find contact details of English-speaking doctors on MyUniMa.

    The Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin has created a questionnaire as decision support for a possible doctor's visit and/or a coronavirus test. Moreover, it provides you with information on risk reduction and helps society to optimize patient flow.
    The app does not substitute clinical diagnostics by a doctor; however, it simplifies procedures in our health care system, gives you individualized recommendations for your next steps and summarizes your data. The app can assist you in evaluating whether it is necessary to see a doctor and/or to know if a test for coronavirus is recommended for you. Medically relevant information will be summarized at the end of the questionnaire and you can take it with you to a doctor's appointment.

    You can access the questionnaire here:, switch to English in the upper right-hand corner, and start the survey. After completing the survey you get individualized recommendations based on your answers. You can also print out the summary afterwards.

    The questionnaire is anonymous and will be recorded by the device (e. g. cell phone) you use when taking the survey. Your answers will not be transferred to Charité nor any other third party.

    If you feel like you should get tested for SARS-Cov-2, please ask yourself: did you have contact with an infected person or did you return from a so-called 'risk area' recently? If so, please contact a medical doctor on the phone first and state your case.

    The city of Mannheim also established a Corona-Hotline: +49 (0)621-293 2253

    Outside their office hours, this number should be available as well: (+49) 116 117

    The city of Mannheim also gives information on their website:  (scroll down for information in English and other languages).

  • I am in quarantine – how can I get my groceries?

    If you are in quarantine and need to get groceries, there are a couple of options you can take a look at. In order for you not to leave the house, some grocery stores now offer their products online and deliver anything from groceries to drugstore products to your door-step. 

    In the following you can find instructions for two online grocery stores and how to use their online offer: 




    Enrollment and Studies

  • What about the University libraries?

    From Wednesday, 10 March 2021, the subject libraries will be open again on a restricted basis. Access to the subject libraries is only possible for all user groups with a valid seat booking. Under the current Corona Ordinance of the state of Baden-Württemberg, libraries are permitted to open regardless of the incidence value. Even if the “emergency brake” comes into force due to the general ordinance of the city of Mannheim, the subject libraries of the UL with seat bookings remain accessible with restrictions.

    The Central Lending Library is open on a limited basis from Wednesday, 13.01.2021, for picking up pre-ordered media. We will continue to offer a scan service for all members of the University of Mannheim.

    The latest information on the services of the University Library are available here.

  • Whom should I contact if I have trouble accessing Portal², Illias, or opening PDF?

    Should you have problems accessing Portal² or Ilias and/or opening uploaded materials, kindly visit:
    If you cannot find the answer to your question there, kindly get in touch with our colleagues from University IT support via itsupport