Coronavirus: FAQs for International Degree Seeking Students

Last update: 16.10.2020

You will find answers to many frequently asked questions on this website and in the links below. We will keep you up-to-date on the latest developments and will inform you continuously, here as well as via our website ( For questions regarding courses and exams have a look at Coronavirus: Information for Students. Please also make sure to check your University of Mannheim e-mail account regularly!

Should any questions arise, contact the Team International Degree-Seeking Students via email: degreeseekings(at)

    Foreigners’ Office – Issues regarding residence permits

  • Important information for all holders of residence permits for the purpose of studying

    If you hold a German residence permit for the purpose of studying please keep the following in mind:

    • Your residence permit becomes invalid six months after you have left Germany, even if it expires only at a later date. 
    • Please note that if you intend to stay in Germany, you must apply for the following residence permit after successfully completing your studies (publication of the last grade in Portal2) in due time.
    • Should you disenroll, your residence permit will expire automatically within 14 days after disenrollment.
    • Make sure to keep an eye on the expiry date of your residence permit!
  • I am in my home country and do not know when I can return to Germany

    Travel to Germany is possible for the following groups or travel purposes:

    • German nationals and nationals from other EU countries, countries associated with Schengen (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) and the United Kingdom;
    • Third-country nationals with a valid residence permit for Germany;
    • Family members of third-country nationals travelling to Germany for the purposes of family reunification or for visits for urgent family reasons;
    • Foreign students whose studies cannot be continued entirely from outside Germany

    German Federal Foreign Office:

    German Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community:

    It is also recommended that you hold onto any plane tickets or other documents that document your travels to your home country and possible intended return (e.g. if your flight back to Germany was cancelled).


    Courses and Examinations

  • Will classes in the fall-/wintersemester 20/21 take place online?

    For the most part, you should expect your classes to take place online. If the current situation and infection rates allow, classes with small groups may also be taught in person on campus. Over the summer, various working groups with student participation will continue working on the plans for the fall semester 2020/21. We will inform you of the details in good time before lectures start.


  • Will the semester dates be different in the upcoming semesters?

    The lectures of the fall semester 2020/21 will start on Monday, 28 September 2020.

    In most subjects, the lecture period for students starting their second or a higher semester will be shorter than usual, ending on 9 December 2020. First-year students beginning their studies in the fall semester will have classes until Christmas. In individual cases, this may also be the case for students enrolled in higher semesters.

    Lecture period of the spring semester 2021

    Lectures of the spring semester 2021 will begin on 1 March 2021 and end on 18 June 2020, including a normal Easter break.

    You can find an overview of all semester dates at


  • When will the examinations take place?

    The alternate examination dates for the spring semester 2020 will take place two weeks before the start of the lecture period of the fall semester, i.e. from 14 September until 26 September 2020.

    You can find an overview of all examination dates at

    Please note that exams subject to mandatory registration (in case you de-registered from the regular examination date or failed an exam) are not registered until early August.

    For details on exam times and rooms, please check the exam schedule, which will be published in late August. In case you are due to take an exam on campus, you will be able to view your seat number in Portal² one week before the exam takes place.

    The examinations in the fall semester 2020/21 will be held during the following periods:

    Regular examination dates for the fall semester 2020/21:           

    10 December – 23 December 2020 (in case of shorter lecture period)
    7 January – 16 January 2021 (in case of longer lecture period)

    In the coming weeks, the schools will be busy working out the schedules for the fall semester, and will inform you about the periods relevant for you as soon as possible.

    Alternate examination dates for the fall semester 2020/21:         20 February – 27 February 2021

  • I need more time to complete my studies

    I'm handing in my thesis this semster

    As you might have read in the media, the individual standard periods of study and the examination deadlines (e.g. orientation examination and deadline for the maximum period of study) have been extended by one semester for all students in Baden-Württemberg who were enrolled in the spring semester 2020.

    To read more information and find out who to contact with questions, please go to


    I am having financial difficulties due to the current situation

  • Where could I find a job?

    If you are looking for a job there are a few options, also for those who speak limited German:

    • The local newspaper Mannheimer Morgen is looking for deliverers:
    • Due to the current situation supermarkets are looking for helpers – try asking directly at the ones close to your home.
    • There are many jobs currently available in agriculture (harvest workers etc.). You can for example write an email to Erntehelfer-gesucht(at) stating your location and regional availability or have a look here (currently only in German):
    • Furthermore E-Commerce companies are looking for workers to help out, try finding a logistics center close by.
  • I can't afford to pay my rent

    If you are living in accommodations of the Studierendenwerk Mannheim and are facing financial difficulties due to Corona, please contact the Studierendenwerk directly: housing(at) Evidence that paying the rent is a financial burden must be provided.

    If you are living in private accommodation we strongly advise you to contact the Tenants' Association (Mieterverein Mannheim) in your town or municipality. For international students who have rented accommodation on the private housing market special protection against the termination of rental agreements are in place. If tenants cannot or only partially pay their rent in the next three months as a result of the corona pandemic, the landlord cannot terminate their room/apartment due to late payment. Tenants have until the end of June 2022 to make up their rent payment and do not have to fear termination due to non or partial payment of the rents from April 2020 to June 2020.

  • What sort of financial aid is available to degree seeking students?

    Measures to support students during the corona pandemic

    Bridging aid for students in financial emergency situations: The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is helping students who are demonstrably in a financial or economic emergency situation owing to the corona pandemic . Those already receiving loans, grants or other support may nevertheless obtain bridging assistance. Depending on proven need, you could receive between 100 euros and 500 euros as a non-repayable allowance. They are paid out via the Studierendenwerk Mannheim. Online application here:

    BW Emergency Aid Fund: Baden-Württemberg has a student emergency aid fund for students who have lost their part-time jobs due to the corona pandemic and are thus in financial need. With the emergency aid fund, the state provides interest-free loans of up to 450 euros for the months of April and May - a total of up to 900 euros - for students in an emergency situation.  All enrolled students are eligible to apply, provided they can prove that an emergency situation has arisen due to the lack of additional income and do not receive other funding, such as scholarships.

    Loan from the Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (KfW): From 01.06.2020, international degree seeking students can receive a KfW student loan temporarily at an interest rate of 0%. From April 1st, 2021, the regular interest rate will apply again, which is set for 6 months. You can receive the first payment on July 1st, 2020. The extension for international degree seekings students is limited until March 31, 2021. Here you can do a pre-check whether you meet the requirements for funding (currently only in German): Pre-check.

    Applications for both loans can be submitted to the Studierendenwerk:Counseling Service Studierendenwerk Mannheim

  • I have a family and we are struggling financially

    In order to lessen the strain inflicted on families during this crisis, the Federal Ministry for Family Affairs has announced to adapt the criteria for supplementary child allowance (Kinderzuschlag) for the period between April and September. Specifically, this means that the Ministry will no longer take the income of the last six months into account as it did previously, but only the income received in the past month. Applications can be submitted online. For more information have a look here (currently only in German):

Team International Degree-Seeking Students

Team International Degree-Seeking Students

University of Mannheim
Division II - Student Affairs
International Office
L 1, 1 – Room 108
68161 Mannheim