FAQs for International Exchange Students

Last update: 17 August 2021

You will find answers to many frequently asked questions on this website and in the links below. We will keep you up-to-date on the latest developments and will inform you continuously.

Kindly monitor the University website on Corona for students.

    Corona Regulations in Baden-Württemberg

  • Vaccinations against SARS-CoV-2

    Where can I get vaccinated in Mannheim?

    The University of Mannheim compiles vaccination offers for students here, which are updated continuously. All students who are enrolled in Mannheim can take advantage of these offers.

    Currently, it is also possible to get vaccinated at physicians' offices, company doctors, and at the vaccination centers.

    Mannheim vaccination center

    Until 30 September, students can turn to the Mannheim vaccination center in case they want to get vaccinated, have questions or need consultation (opening hours Mon-Sat 11:30 am to 7:00 pm) without appointment.

    The vaccination center in Mannheim is on the “Mai­markt­gelände”. Tram line 6 and bus lines 50 and 45 will get you there. The bus/tram stop „Mai­markt“ is right opposite of the vaccination center.

    Documents to bring to the vaccination appointment

    Please do not forget to bring the following documents:

    • passport/national ID
    • vaccination record (which is where you will receive a confirmation of your vaccination)
    • proof of health insurance
    • enrollment certificate (if you made the appointment through the University)

    If you were previously vaccinated with a vaccine not approved by the EU:

    If you received a vaccination that is not listed on the website of the Paul Ehrlich institute, you have the option to receive an additional vaccination with an EU approved vaccine at least 6 weeks after you received your last vaccination. Please consult a doctor and provide the following:

    • Confirmation of residence registration or enrollment certificate
    • Passport or national ID
    • Vaccination card and information about your last vaccination

    Please note: As of 11 October, most people will have to pay for Covid-19 rapid tests in Germany. If you are not eligible for vaccination or if there is no vaccination recommendation for you, you are exempt from this provision. Students who have been vaccinated with a vaccine which has not been authorized by the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut (f.ex. Sinovav, Sputnik V, etc.), will continue to receive Covid-19 rapid tests for free until 31 December 2021.

      Proof of Vaccination

      If you received an EU approved vaccination against the SARS-Cov-19 in your home country, your vaccination certificate or vaccination card needs to include the following information:

      • Date of vaccination
      • Name of vaccine
      • Batch number of the vaccine
      • Name and stamp of the vaccination center or the doctor, as well as the doctors signature

      Proof of Convalescence

      • Proof of convalescence needs to be translated to German or English
      • Your proof of convalescence needs to confirm your previous infection by a PCR-test and needs to detail the date on which the test was conducted. It also needs to include your complete name and date of birth, the test results, and name the laboratory that issued your confirmation.
      • If you have proof of convalescence and receive an additional vaccination with an EU approved vaccine, you will be considered vaccinated.

      Digital vaccination or convalescence record

      Vaccinated and/or recovered individuals are able to digitally store information about their vaccine/ convalescence on their smartphone – either in the CovPass app or in the Corona Warn app

      To do so, scan the vaccination / convalescence certificates(QR codes) in the app. If you have not yet received a QR code after vaccination, they can be issued subsequently. If you have been vaccinated at a vaccination center, they will be sent by post or made available online. Alternatively, doctors or pharmacists can also issue vaccination/ convalescence certificates.

      Further information on the digital vaccination/ convalescence certificate can be found here.

      Further information:

    • Current Regulations

      From 16 August onwards, coronavirus regulations in Baden-Württemberg depend on whether you can provide proof of convalescence or proof of full vaccination against the coronavirus. If you cannot provide either, you will need to provide a negative Covid-19 test performed by an official test provider no longer than 24 hours ago.

      You may find signs that say „3G“, referring to the below regulations. It stands for Geimpft (vaccinated), Genesen (recovered) and Getestet (tested).

      Should the situation deteriorate, the government may implement more regulations if needed.

      Mandatory mask requirement:

      • In most public areas (public transport, in workplaces, shops, doctor’s offices etc.) but also in enclosed spaces (in private meetings, cafeterias, restaurants or sport facilities) you are required to wear a medical mask (FFP1 or FFP2).
      • In public areas, you are required to keep a distance of 1.50 meters to other people. Whenever it is impossible to maintain the required distance, it is mandatory to wear a protective mask.

      Where do I need to show proof of a negative Covid-19 test result, proof of convalescence, or proof of full vaccination?

      • Hairdressers and other body-related services. Here you are also required to wear a medical mask.
      • Restaurants for inside seating
      • Touristic overnight stays 
      • Touristic bus tours and cruises
      • Galleries, museums, concerts, theaters
      • Indoor sports
      • Bars and clubs (if not vaccinated nor recovered it is necessary to provide a negative PCR test to enter a club)
      • Events (inside or outside) with more than 5000 visitors or where a distance of 1.50 meters cannot be maintained, such as city tours, concerts, theater plays, festivals, sport events, etc.
      • From 1 July on: The sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages, including the „Gassenschank“ in the Jungbusch is prohibited on Fridays and Saturdays from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. of the following day, as well as the consumption of alcoholic beverages in public spaces on Fridays and Saturdays from midnight to 6:00 a.m. of the following day.

      Where is no proof of a negative coronavirus Covid-19, proof of convalescence, or proof of full vaccination necessary?

      • Retail businesses. You are required to wear a medical mask.
      • Only picking up food. You are required to wear a medical mask.
      • Religious events. You are required to wear a medical mask.
      • Outdoor sport. You are required to wear a medical mask if you cannot maintain a distance of 1.5 meters to other persons.

      A fully vaccinated person is a person who has been fully vaccinated with a vaccination approved by the Paul-Ehrlich-Institut at least 14 days ago. This means that they need to have received the complete number of vaccine doses required for the respective vaccine. In order to be exempted e.g. from providing a negative Covid-19 test result in many cases, you will need to be able to prove your vaccination in German, French, Italian, Spanish, or English either on your international vaccination card or with the vaccination certificate you received after being vaccinated.

      Persons that have recovered from a coronavirus infection need to prove their infection and recovery by means of a molecular biological test (polymerase chain reaction – PCR test) taken within six months up to 28 days prior to the current day and need to be symptom free.

      Coronavirus Warning App: The Corona-Warn-App helps to quickly disrupt chains of infection. It turns your smartphone into a warning system. The app informs us if we have had contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19. It protects us and others around us, as well as our privacy.
      More infromation on the Coronavirus Warnning App

      For more detailed information

      City of Mannheim (in German) | German Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community | Corona Ordinance of the State of Baden-Württemberg (available in different languages at the bottom of the website) | FAQs for vaccinated and recovered persons (in German)

    • Where in Mannheim can I get tested?

      If you need to get tested or are in need of medical attention in case of a (possible) infection with Corona, you can find a map with doctor’s offices which offer testing and treatment here.
      When contacting the doctor’s office, please always do so via phone first and clarify the following procedure. They will provide you with more information regarding your current situation.

      Please find the instructions for how to use the map and a list of doctor’s offices in Mannheim here.

      There is also a coronavirus test center in Mannheim where testing is available (at a fee).


      Where can I get a rapid test (Schnelltest)?

      There are various places in Mannheim that you can get a Schnelltest at, if you follow this link it will provide you with a map showing different testing locations throughout the city.

      This link directs you to a website where you will be shown test center options that are closest to you. Type in your address where it says “Straßenname”, then click on “suchen” and all the available options including their contact details will come up.

    • Where to go if I feel sick?

      Should you feel sick, please consult a medical doctor – you will find contact details of English-speaking doctors on MyUniMa.

      The Charité Universitäts­medizin Berlin has created a questionnaire as decision support for a possible doctor's visit and/or a coronavirus test. Moreover, it provides you with information on risk reduction and helps society to optimize patient flow.
      The app does not substitute clinical diagnostics by a doctor; however, it simplifies procedures in our health care system, gives you individualized recommendations for your next steps and summarizes your data. The app can assist you in evaluating whether it is necessary to see a doctor and/or to know if a test for coronavirus is recommended for you. Medically relevant information will be summarized at the end of the questionnaire and you can take it with you to a doctor's appointment.

      You can access the questionnaire here: https://covapp.charite.de/, switch to English in the upper right-hand corner, and start the survey. After completing the survey you get individualized recommendations based on your answers. You can also print out the summary afterwards.

      The questionnaire is anonymous and will be recorded by the device (e. g. cell phone) you use when taking the survey. Your answers will not be transferred to Charité nor any other third party.

      If you feel like you should get tested for SARS-Cov-2, please ask yourself: did you have contact with an infected person or did you return from a so-called 'risk area' recently? If so, please contact a medical doctor on the phone first and state your case.

      The city of Mannheim also established a Corona-Hotline: +49 (0)621-293 2253

      Outside their office hours, this number should be available as well: (+49) 116 117

      The city of Mannheim also gives information on their website: https://www.mannheim.de/de/informationen-zu-corona/informationen-in-verschiedenen-sprachen#  (scroll down for information in English and other languages).

    • Where can I get CoViD-19 updates in Germany (in English)?

      Many non-German native speakers are facing quite a challenge to stay on top of the news concerning the development of the situation of the coronavirus in Germany.

      You can find current information in English here:

        Federal Government Commissioner for Migration, Refugees and Integration

        German Federal Foreign Office:

        German Federal Ministry of Interior, Building and Community:

        News on the coronavirus in Germany:


        Arrival in Germany

      • Entry requirements and restrictions

        Test obligation for entry

        If you travel to Germany by air or have stayed in an area of virus variants of concern within 10 day before your departure, you have to show a negative corona test result to your carrier before taking off.

        If you travel to Germany from any other country, you need to be able to show a negative test result or proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination or proof of recovery from an infection.

        You will need to be able to present your negative test result for 10 days after your arrival upon request by the responsible authority.

        Digital Registration on Entry

        If you stayed in a risk area, high incidence area, or area of variant of concern at any point within 10 days before your arrival in Germany, you are required to register at https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de and carry the confirmation with you when travelling.

        General Entry restrictions

        Entry and travel restrictions have been in place throughout the EU since 17 March 2020 and travel to Germany is, thus affected. Germany has since implemented the recommendation on entry restrictions by the Council of the European Union in July 2020. The list of states and regions from which unrestricted travel to Germany is possible will be updated every two weeks. The question of whether travel to Germany is permitted depends on where the person travelling has previously been staying, not on their nationality. Visa regulations are not affected by these travel restrictions – so all visa requirements (if applicable) remain unchanged!

        Restrictions on travel from countries with coronavirus variants

        On 30 January 2021, a travel ban has been imposed on countries with widespread occurrence of SARS-CoV-2 virus variants of concern. Carriers may not transport any persons from these countries to Germany. There are only a few, strictly defined exceptions to this travel ban:

        • Persons who are resident in Germany with a current right to reside in the country
        • German nationals

        Should you meet one of the exceptions and be able to travel from a so called “area of variant of concern”, please keep in mind that you will have to undergo quarantine in Germany and have a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result on you when starting your journey. You need to take the test within 48 hours before starting your journey.

        Since we do not know about your whereabouts at the time of travel to Germany, we need you to check if these travel restrictions apply to you. Please visit the website of the Federal Foreign Office to get up-to-date information at all times.

      • Quarantine upon entry

        Regulations on mandatory quarantine may change and may vary between states or cities. Before entering Germany, please make sure that you know the current regulations. If in doubt or if you have any questions, please contact us: incomings uni-mannheim.de.

        The requirement to quarantine will initially be in force until 30 June 2021.

        Who needs to quarantine?

        If you have spent time in a country or region currently classified as a risk area or high incidence area, you are required to proceed directly to your own home, or other suitable accommodation, immediately upon arrival and remain exclusively at this location for a period of 10 days after your entry into the country (home quarantine). If you have spent time in an area of variants of concern prior to entry, you will need to quarantine for 14 days.
        Violations can be punished as an administrative offence with a very high fine.

        Shortening of the quarantine period

        If you are travelling from an area of variant of concern of SARS-CoV-2 infection, the 14-day quarantine period cannot be shortened in any case.

        Travelling from a risk area or high-incidence area, the quarantine period may be ended prematurely if proof of recovery, proof of vaccination or a negative test result is submitted via the Federal Republic of Germany entry portal https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de. Should you have spent time in a high-incidence area prior to entry, the relevant test may not be conducted earlier than five days after entry. You can take a test in Mannheim (or other place of residence). Please also keep the negative test results for at least 10 days.


        If you are travelling from an area of variant of concern of a SARS-CoV-2 infection, quarantine is mandatory even if you contracted the coronavirus or were vaccinated already.

        If you travel from a risk area or a high incidence area, you are exempted from the quarantine if you already contracted the coronavirus at least 21 days up to 6 months prior to the date of your arrival in Baden-Württemberg and can provide the health authorities a medical certificate confirming this. The infection needs to be confirmed by a molecular biological test by means of polymerase chain reaction (PCR test). Please note that you need to be symptom-free upon arrival in Germany.
        If you travel from a risk area or a high incidence area, you are also exempted from quarantine if you were fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 with a vaccination approved by the European Union at least 14 days prior to your entry of Germany. You are required to carry proof of your vaccination and present it to the responsible authorities upon request.

        During the quarantine period

        During the 10 days in quarantine, you are not allowed to leave your apartment without the permission of the public health department or to receive visits from people living in other households. This is to protect your neighbors and persons around you. Any violation of the rules may be imposed by a very high fine!

        In order for you not to leave the house, some grocery stores now offer their products online and deliver anything from groceries to drugstore products to your door-step. Instructions for two online grocery stores and how to use their online offer: getNow.com | Rewe online store
        Your buddy partner may also be able to support you during your quarantine period.

        Further information:
        FAQs about the Corona Ordinance on Entry Quarantine in Baden-Württemberg


      • Classroom Pass | Fall Semester 2021

        As of this fall semester, you need a Classroom Pass in order to participate in in-person classes or to study at one of the university’s work stations. The Classroom Pass is your confirmation that you provided the University of Mannheim with a 3G proof.

        You can obtain the Classroom Pass in the Classroom Pass Center as of 1 September. Learn more on where the Classroom Pass Center is located, which documents you must bring and to find other important questions and answers about the Classroom Pass Center.

      • Can I study in the University libraries?

        It is mandatory to provide a negative Covid-19 test result, proof of convalescence, or proof of full vaccination if you plan to study and spend time at the library. That proof is not necessary if you are only picking up media.

        The subject libraries remain open with opening hours up to 22 o’clock. Access to the subject libraries is possible with a valid seat booking and/or as a spontaneous visit.

        The Central Lending Library is open for borrowing and returning media on your own.

        The latest information on the services of the University Library is available here.

      • Whom should I contact if I have trouble accessing Portal², Illias, or opening PDF?

        Should you have problems accessing Portal² or Ilias and/or opening uploaded materials, kindly visit: https://www.uni-mannheim.de/en/it/support/.
        If you cannot find the answer to your question there, kindly get in touch with our colleagues from University IT support via itsupport uni-mannheim.de