Auf einem Schreibtisch werden zahlreiche Dokumente abgestempelt.

Preparing Important Documents

In order to be fully prepared for your stay in Germany, you should take care of a number of documents that you might need during your time at the University of Mannheim while still in your home country. The team of the Welcome Center will let you know about the most important documents and, if necessary, ask you to send some documents in advance (for example degree certificate and personnel form).

Which documents are required always depends on your individual status at the University of Mannheim and the duration of your stay. In the following, we have compiled a list of the most common documents. This list is not exhaustive.

  • Valid passport (also for spouses and children) – if your passport is due to expire soon, please renew it before coming to Germany.
  • Visa (also for spouses and children)
  • Birth certificate (also of spouses and children, if applicable)*
  • Marriage certificate*
  • Degree certificates starting from the university entrance qualification (secondary school, diploma/master's degree, doctorate), in German or English*
  • Vaccination records (also of spouses and children)
  • International driver’s license
  • If applicable, an ID card for the severely disabled recognized by German authorities*
  • Certificate of enrollment as a doctoral student at your home institution
  • Certificate of good conduct (in some cases, you will have to apply for this certificate in your home country. Please read the information provided here.)

*For these documents, the original or a notarized copy has to be submitted. If the documents were issued in a language other than German or English, a notarized translation is required.