University entrance qualification

If you want to study in Germany, you must hold a university entrance qualification. The University Entrance Qualification is a diploma/leaving certificate that allows/allowed you to start your bachelor’s degree course at university (e.g. high school diploma, attestat, baccalaureat, bachillerato, general certificate of education, etc.).

Information for international applicants with international university entrance qualifications:

Foreign documents can only be accepted in German or English language or translation. If your documents are written in another language, a translation of the relevant documents in German or English is required in addition to the copy of the original certificate. All certificates must be translated by a sworn translator.

More about the application for EU/EEA citizens

More on the application process for prospective students from outside the EU/EEA

The following information is for applicants who hold German citizenship:

The Abitur is a German university entrance qualification enabling you to study any subject.

Fachgebundene Hochschulreife (subject-restricted university entrance qualification)
This qualification allows you to study a program relating to specific subjects, which are stated on your certificate. If you want to study a different subject, however, you can take the Deltaprüfung test, which is only available in German, to qualify.

The Fachhochschulreife allows you to study at a university of applied sciences. It is not sufficient for admission to the University of Mannheim. However, you can qualify for study at a university in Baden-Württemberg by completing the Deltaprüfung test, which is only available in German.

Qualification obtained outside of Germany
The number of German applicants with international school leaving certificates is increasing. Often, these applicants are required to submit a document which recognizes their qualification as equivalent to a qualification issued in Germany.
Find out more about the recognition of foreign qualifications

Vocational qualification
Specific vocational qualifications can also be considered as University Entrance Qualification.
Find out more about studying without taking the Abitur

Please always submit all necessary documents to prove your university entrance qualification. If these are not complete or in an unaccepted form, your application will not be considered.