Partner Universities and Exchange Programs

The University of Mannheim maintains close relationships with over 450 universities in about 60 countries all around the world so that its students can study abroad without paying tuition fees. Our database offers you different exchange programs that match your program of study, no matter what it is.

    • How do I find the right partner university?

      A partner university is right for you, if...

      • it is listed for your major subject.
      • you have advanced knowledge of the language of instruction and can provide the respective proof of language proficiency.
      • you are able to find courses there that can be recognized.
      • you fulfill the possible special requirements for this partner university. Check the details for the respective university to see if there are any special requirements.
      • International students also have to pay attention to any possible special requirements regarding proof of language proficiency.
      • Of course, you should also want to study in this country at this partner university. Keep in mind that the regions that you know absolutely nothing about might be the most exciting and beautiful destinations for your stay abroad. Let yourself be inspired by the reports written by other students that can be found in the database for each university.
    • What exactly is a partner university?

      The University of Mannheim has entered into exchange agreements with many universities worldwide. Through the agreement, these universities become partner universities of the University of Mannheim. The agreement states that a certain number of students from the one university can study abroad at the other university and vice versa. Oftentimes, these exchanges are limited to certain programs of study, since not all international universities offer courses in subject areas that match the departments of the University of Mannheim exactly.

      Usually, each agreement entails two to four study places. That means that per year and exchange program, two to four students of the University of Mannheim can study at the host university and the same number of students from the host university can study here.

      The big advantage of these agreements is the exemption from tuition fees abroad that exist nearly everywhere: A semester in the USA for example is usually several thousand dollars in tuition fees for regular students. However, if you study at such a partner university through an exchange agreement, you do not have to pay tuition fees! In addition, the University of Mannheim is there to help you during every stage of your stay abroad and can mediate between you and the host university in any matters.

      On top of being exempt from paying tuition fees, there are also a additional funding options for studying abroad at a partner university: In Europe, all exchange students who have been placed at a partner university usually receive the Erasmus scholarship. For all other regions, you can apply for a number of scholarship programs such as the PROMOS scholarship and the Baden-Württemberg-Stipendium.

    • What is a state-to-state exchange program?

      State-to-state programs are special exchange programs, that are only offered for the USA, Canada and Mexico. Just like for partner universities, there are exchange agreements and an exemption from tuition fees. The difference is that the partnership is not between two universities, but between two states, namely between the Land Baden-Württemberg and for example North Carolina or California in the US. The universities participating in the state-to-state programs are among the very best. Students are given the unique opportunity to study at universities that do not have a direct exchange partnership with the University of Mannheim.

      Please be sure to find out what you need to bear in mind when applying for state-to-state programs.

    • How do I apply? And which proof of language proficiency do I need?

      The International Office is happy to assist you during all phases of planning, preparation and realization of your stay abroad. Read about the basics and attend one of the information events.

      Different deadlines and requirements apply to your application, depending on your program of study and the country you are applying for.

      For each partner university, you will find the information on which language test you need for your application in the database below. The most accessible language test is the so called Language Certificate of the University of Mannheim, which can be obtained in all languages. But some partner universities require special tests like TOEFL or IELTS. If you already possess a valid TOEFL or similar test, you can use it instead of the Language Certificate! For all tests, make sure to get an appointment early on!

      We compiled all information on the required language levels, tests and alternatives in one website for you.

      Good to know: If in the database you find two languages mentioned for a partner university, you need to check whether enough courses are offered in your preferred language. Then you only need one proof of language. If you would like to take classes in both languages, you need to provide proof of your proficiency in each language.

    Database of Partner Universities

    The content of the database is based on the information currently available to us and is generally subject to change. Therefore, please check particularly within the four weeks before the respective application deadline if the requirements of your target university have changed.

    Reports: The reports of former students can be found in the detailed information or directly via the “Experience Reports” button. You can also contact former exchange students who wrote the reports. Just e-mail us at and include the “Author ID” of the report.

    International students: Unfortunately, the database is currently offering most information in German only. Please also note that the minimum language requirements are relating to German applicants – there might be stricter requirements for non-German nationals. Therefore, please contact the International Office if you need help in translating some of the information given for the partner universities or if you would like to confirm the language requirements.

    For each partner institution, click on the icon on the left for more detailed information.


    We are happy to help you: