Academic Leave of Absence

Students can apply for academic leave of absence due to a valid reason (section 61 subsection 1 of the Act on Higher Education of the Land of Baden-Württemberg (LHG)). As a rule, an academic leave of absence should not exceed two semesters. Students on leave keep their enrollment status at the University of Mannheim. 

Valid reasons for an academic leave of absence include:

  • an internship,
  • a semester abroad (not possible in case of an integrated semester abroad),
  • maternity leave, parental leave, or parenting,
  • health issues.

      Information on academic leave of absence

    • During your academic leave of absence

      • the number of subject-specific semesters does not increase,
      • you are not allowed to attend courses or take examinations at the University of Mannheim.
        Please note: This rule does not apply to students who are on academic leave of absence due to maternity leave or parental leave. They are free to attend courses, take examinations, and use all the facilities of the university without restrictions (section 61 subsection 3 of the LHG).
      • you have neither the right to vote nor the right to stand for election,
      • you are not allowed to use any facilities of the university except the library and the University IT,
      • you cannot work as a student assistant at the University of Mannheim,
      • you are not allowed to register or submit your bachelor’s or master’s thesis.
    • Consequences of your academic leave of absence

      Taking an academic leave of absence may affect your entitlements and grants, such as federal student aid (BAföG), child benefit, the Deutschland Scholarship, or your residence permit. Please contact the respective institution, such as the BAföG office, the Familienkasse, or, if applicable, the foreigner’s office, as early as possible to inquire about the potential consequences.

    • Application for academic leave of absence

      Please submit the application form including copies of all required documents either to Student Services or the Express Service before the beginning of the lecture period.

      We can only decide on whether to grant you academic leave of absence or not once we have received all the required documents. If your application is accepted, you will receive an enrollment certificate as usual. The certificate will state that you are taking academic leave of absence in the respective semester. Please make sure to transfer the applicable fees to the university when you are applying for leave of absence. If your application is turned down, you will receive an official notification.

    Download your form here


    Express Service

    Express Service

    Jessica Cariola, Kirsten Maurer, Ute Wieder, Sharon Rübel
    University of Mannheim
    Express-Service L 1, 1 | Eingang A
    68161 Mannheim
    Opening hours:
    The express service is available on weekdays by e-mail.

    Most services can currently be handled via e-mail (expressschalter We will be happy to help you in this way.

    Documents will of course still be sent by mail. Please use the order form or send us an e-mail. For further details:

    (Update March 2021)
    Need Personal Advising?

    If you have specific questions that you would like to discuss individually, please don’t hesitate to consult your Student Services advisor.