Photo credit: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg

Documents to submit - University entrance qualification

If you want to study in Germany, you must hold a university entrance qualification. The University Entrance Qualification is a diploma/ leaving certificate that allows /allowed you to start your bachelor’s degree course at university (e.g. high school diploma, attestat, baccalaureat, bachillerato, general certificate of education, etc.).

Information for German Applicants

The Abitur is a German university entrance qualification. Completing it enables you to apply to study any subject.

Fachgebundene Hochschulreife
With this German qualification, you can only study a program relating to a specific subject, which is stated on your certificate. If you want to study a different subject, however, you can take the Deltaprüfung test, which is only available in German, to qualify.

Qualification obtained at a university of applied sciences in Germany
This type of qualification is not sufficient for admission to the University of Mannheim. But you can qualify for study at a university in Baden-Württemberg by completing the Deltaprüfung test, which is only available in German.

Qualification obtained outside of Germany
The number of applications we receive from international applicants is increasing. Often, these applicants are required to submit a document which recognizes their qualification as equivalent to a qualification issued in Germany.
Find out more about the recognition of foreign qualifications

Vocational qualification
Applicants who did not take the Abitur may be admitted based on a vocational qualification. They must, however, have a good level of German proficiency.
Find out more about studying without taking the Abitur

Please always submit all necessary documents to prove your university entrance qualification. If these are not complete or in an unaccepted form, your application will not be considered.

Information for international applicants with international university entrance qualifications

Foreign documents can only be accepted in German or English language or translation. If your documents are written in another language, a translation of the relevant documents in German or English is required in addition to the copy of the original certificate. All certificates must be translated by a sworn translator.

    Additional important country-specific information

  • China/Vietnam

    Applicants who obtained their university entrance qualification or degree in China or Vietnam, must also provide the original version of the APS Certificate issued by the Academic Evaluation Center (Akademische Prüfstelle) in the corresponding country.

  • Italy

    Applicants who have completed their university entrance qualification in Italy must submit, in addition to the school leaving certificate, the annual reports of the last two school years together with a translation into German or English. If the school leaving certificate is not yet available, it is possible to apply with a document issued by the school, stating that you have completed your “Esame di maturità”. The official “Diploma di maturità” must be submitted subsequently in case of admission.

  • Austria

    Applicants who have obtained their school leaving certificate in Austria must submit the annual reports of the last two school years in addition to the diploma certificate.

  • Russia/Ukraine

    For applicants from Russia and Ukraine, periods of study are relevant for the university entrance qualification. If you have already studied in your home country, please upload a Transcript of Records together with your university entrance qualification documents.