Sechs Studierende sitzen gemeinsam in einer Nische an einem Tisch und lernen gemeinsam.

Admission to the First Subject-Specific Semester

Information for applicants for admission to the first subject-specific semester of a master’s program.

Application process

  • How to apply

    You apply for your chosen degree program online. Your documents need to be uploaded in the online application portal. You can view the status of your application online at any time.

  • Allocation of study places

    Study places on our master's programs are allocated according to the admission requirements and selection criteria that are bindingly defined in the selection statutes.

    If the number of applications is higher than the number of study places on the program, a ranking list will be created. Five percent of the study places are reserved for applicants experiencing hardship. In addition, there is a quota of one percent for prospective students who can prove that they are locally bound due to an activity of public interest (Ortsbindung im öffentlichen Interesse). This applies to top athletes, for example.

    Admission to some master’s programs is not selective. For non-selective programs, every applicant who meets the admission requirements and applies in due time and form will be granted admission.

  • Application deadlines

    Here you can find the application deadlines for our master’s programs.

    Admission in the spring semester is also possible for some of our master’s programs.

You will need to submit the following documents

  • University entrance qualification

    You need to hold a university entrance qualification issued by an institution in Germany or abroad.

  • Degree certificate from your first program of study

    You need to upload the degree certificate from your first program of study

    Applicants who hold a degree from an institution abroad also need a notarized German or English translation of the document. Applicants who obtained their university entrance qualification or degree in China or Vietnam, must also provide the APS certificate issued by the Academic Evaluation Center (Akademische Prüfstelle) in the corresponding country.

    If your degree certificate is not available at the time of your application, you may submit it later. The deadline for submitting this document is provided in your official letter of admission.

  • Transcript of Records

    A transcript of records is a particularly important part of your application for admission to a master’s program. It proves that you have acquired specialized knowledge, and documents your grades and progression.

    We require an official transcript of records by your higher education institution. Transcripts with a verification code can also be accepted.

    Applicants who hold a degree from an institution abroad must submit a transcript of records in the native language of the issuing institution as well as a German or English translation of the document. If the grading system is different to the system used in Germany, we also require proof of the grading scale used which indicates the lowest passing grade and the highest possible grade available.

    Applicants who have obtained their university entrance qualification or degree in China, India or Vietnam, must also provide the APS Certificate issued by the Academic Evaluation Center (Akademische Prüfstelle) in the corresponding country. APS Certificate has to be submitted together with application documents by the application deadline. We are sorry to inform you that we do not offer extended deadline for the submission of the APS Certificate.

  • Proof of previous periods of study in Germany

    We have to be aware of all periods of study that you have completed in Germany. Please provide the relevant documents of proof as part of your application. For example:

    • Enrollment Certificate
    • Confirmation of disenrollment
    • Transcript of records
    • Enrollment verification certificate

    If you have been enrolled in a degree program with similar content before in Germany, you must confirm that you are still eligible to take exams. For the application, this documents is only required if you have already studied at a German higher education institution in Germany.

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Proof of German language proficiency

    If you are applying for a German taught program, please submit a proof that your proficiency in German is equivalent to at least level C1 (Goethe Zertifikat C2) of the common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). 
    Please note that you need German language proof for all bachelor's programs applications.

  • Proof of extracurricular activities

    Extracurricular activities are worth extra points in the selection process for many degree programs. We provide standardized forms in German and English to simplify the process and give you an overview of the required details.

  • Program-specific criteria

    Depending on the master's program you are applying for, you may need to submit proof of language proficiency, a letter of motivation, or tests like the GMAT as part of your application. Further details are provided in the selection statutes for the degree program you are interested in.

Frequently asked questions

  • How many applications can I submit?

    You can submit up to three applications for admission to a master's program.

  • Does my bachelor's degree certificate have to be available by the deadline in order for me to apply for a master's program?

    Many prospective students do not yet have their bachelor's degree completed by the application deadline. This is not a problem, because you can apply submitting a current Transcript of Records (ToR). Depending on the respective master's program, the ToR must prove a certain number of ECTS credits (usually between 120 and 140). For more detailed information, please refer to the selection statutes of the degree program you are interested in.

    The bachelor's degree certificate does not have to be available by the deadline and can be submitted at a later point in time.

  • Why do I need to provide a module catalog?

    A module catalog is used to evaluate the coursework and examinations you have completed, and verify the specialized knowledge that you have acquired. That’s why you are asked to either provide a link to the module catalog for your previous degree program or upload a PDF version of the catalog as part of your online application. The examinations and coursework that you have completed can only be considered in your application if the competences you have obtained match those acquired in modules at the University of Mannheim.

  • Are there any master's programs that are taught in English?

    The following master's programs are currently taught in English:

    • Mannheim Master in Data Science
    • Mannheim Master in Management
    • Master of Comparative Business Law (MCBL)
    • Master's program in Political Science
    • Master's program in Sociology 
    • Master's program in Economics
    • Master's program in Business Informatics
  • Is admission to all master's programs selective?

    No. Please see this list for non-selective master's programs.

  • My bachelor’s degree certificate was issued by an institution outside of Germany. Does it still meet the admission requirements?

    You may apply for admission to a master's program at the University of Mannheim with a university degree obtained outside of Germany. The Admissions Office and the admissions committee will use your application documents to verify whether your qualification can be recognized in Germany and whether all requirements for being eligible for a master’s program are met. We  cannot assess your degree without your application documents.

  • How are the grades I achieved outside of Germany converted into the German grading system?

    During the admissions process, grades awarded by institutions outside of Germany will be converted using the modified Bavarian formula, as recommended by the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB).

    Therefore, together with your application documents, please submit an official document (examination regulations, reverse side of the Transcript of Records or similar) showing the grading system of your previous higher education institution.

    To be able to apply the formula, we need the highest grade that can be achieved and the lowest passing grade in the foreign grading system. Please note that the lowest passing grade that is used for converting grades using the modified Bavarian formula refers to the lowest average grade required to graduate with a bachelor's degree from your higher education institution. In some countries, this threshold value differs from the minimum grade required to pass a single subject.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    The information will be corrected in our database once we check your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Usually, official letters of admission to master's programs are sent out six weeks after the application deadline. Please check the dispatch schedule for official notifications to see when the official letters of admission for each program will be sent out.

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for first-year students and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar