DAAD Prize 2022 for Georgi Paskalev

Engagement in der Fachschaft, in mehreren Initiativen sowie Jobs als Tutor und Finanzanalyst: Der Bulgare Georgi Paskalev war neben seinem Studium der Wirtschaftsmathematik an der Uni Mannheim auf verschiedenen Ebenen aktiv. Für seine vielseitigen Aktivitäten und seine hervorragenden akademischen Leistungen wurde er nun mit dem diesjährigen DAAD-Preis gewürdigt.

Paskalev knew from a young age that he wanted to study abroad. After graduating from school, his wish came true: The now 21-year-old was accepted at several European universities and decided to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics in Business and Economics at the University of Mannheim. “I immediately liked the practical combination of business and mathematics,” he says.  

Shortly after beginning his studies, Paskalev became a departmental student representative for Mathematics in Business and Economics. At the same time, he assisted the STADS (Students’ Association for Data Analytics and Statistics) initiative in designing courses on data analytics and machine learning. But cultural exchange was also important to Paskalev: As a member of the association Bai Ganyo e.V., he worked to pass on Bulgarian traditions in Germany. In the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic, he additionally began working as a financial analyst and calculus tutor. At that time, he returned to Bulgaria because there were no on-campus courses at the university, and he wanted to be with his family during this uncertain time. In early 2022, he returned to Mannheim and, together with other students, developed digital learning content while working with the Chair of Analysis.  

In addition to his extracurricular activities, Paskalev also excelled in his studies. It was these two things taken together that convinced the jury Paskalev was deserving of the DAAD Prize. He received the news about the award shortly before submitting his bachelor’s thesis. “I am very proud and happy, this was the perfect ending for my time in Germany,” he says. In the future, he would like to gain professional experience as a stock trader. However, he is also considering getting a master’s degree: “I met so many helpful and understanding people in Mannheim and made many good friends. If I decide to do a master’s, I will most likely do it in Mannheim.” 

Text: Tina Ratajczyk / October 2022

About the DAAD Prize 

The DAAD Prize is endowed with EUR 1,000 and is awarded each year to a full-time international student at the University of Mannheim.