Entry and Insurance

To all newly admitted students: welcome! Please read all the information in our student portal Portal²! There, you will find most up-to-date guidance on your first semester, especially in the section 'Orientation events and Things to Do'! You can log in to Portal² with the same credentials you are using for the Application Portal! Find the Portal² here!


Depending on their country of origin, people wishing to enter the Federal Republic of Germany are subject to different regulations. If you are planning a stay in Germany, please inquire about the visa regulations concerning your country of origin as soon as possible.

  • Visa-free travel and study

    EU citizens and EFTA citizens (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) do not need a short-term entry visa or student visa. After enrollment, they need to register at the residents' registration office. Citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to stay or study in Germany as they can request a residence permit directly at the responsible foreigner's office in Germany:

    • Andorra
    • Australia
    • Brazil
    • El Salvador
    • Great Britain
    • Honduras
    • Israel
    • Japan
    • Canada
    • Monaco
    • New Zealand
    • San Marino
    • South Korea
    • USA

    Please note: whether you need a visa or not is determined by your nationality. It is of no importance in which country you are currently studying. For example, if you are studying in a European country and have a residence permit for this country, you still need to apply for a student visa for Germany. In order to do so, please contact the German embassy in your home country or in the country you are currently studying in.

    If you have any more questions regarding visa, please check our FAQ.

  • Students who require visas

    If you are not from one of the above-mentioned countries, you need to apply for a visa in your home country. You may not enter with a tourist visa. Most students need a short-term entry visa in order to study in Germany. More information on this can be found on the homepage of the Federal Foreign Office. Please apply for a short-term entry visa / student visa at the responsible German diplomatic representation (embassy/consulate) as soon as possible. You will need to present the confirmation of receipt of your application. Students who need a visa to study in Germany need to present the short-term entry visa / student visa in order to enroll. In order to have your short-term visa turned into a residence permit you need to present your enrollment certificate to the responsible foreigner's office after enrollment. If you enter Germany with a tourist visa, it is not possible to issue a residence permit on the basis of this visa.

    If you have any more questions regarding visa, please check our FAQ.


For the duration of your travel to Germany, we recommend taking out a travel insurance policy. Students who require visas usually need insurance to apply for their visa.  Students who don’t require visa should nevertheless take out insurance for the period between their arrival and enrollment.


Team International Degree-Seeking Students

Team International Degree-Seeking Students

University of Mannheim
Division II – Student Affairs
International Office
L 1, 1 – Room 108/109
68161 Mannheim
Opening hours:
Visit our offices without an appointment on Tuesdays from 9–11 a.m. (open office hours).