Admission to an Advanced Semester

Information for applicants applying for admission to an advanced semester of a bachelor’s program.

Application process

  • How to apply

    You apply for your chosen degree program online. Your documents need to be uploaded in the online application portal. You can view the status of your application online at any time.

  • Allocation of study places

    Admission to an advanced semester is selective for most of our degree programs. We can only admit applicants to an advanced semester if the selective degree program in question is not full. If the number of applicants is higher than the number of study places, both the progress made in your previous program and your performance are considered in the selection process.

You will need to submit the following documents

  • University entrance qualification

    To apply you only need to upload the documents. Please note you probably have to submit a notarized copy to enroll.
    Find out more about notarization.

    If you obtained your qualification abroad, you usually need to submit a notarized copy of the document issued by the Department of Evaluation and Recognition which recognizes you qualification as equivalent to a German qualification. 
    Find out more about the recognition of foreign qualifications

  • Proof of German language proficiency

    If you do not hold German citizenship or do not have a German university entrance qualification, you must submit notarized proof that your German language proficiency is equivalent to level C1.

  • Transcript of Records

    You need to provide a transcript of records.This document proves that you have acquired specialized knowledge, and documents your grades and progression throughout the program. Therefore, we only accept official Transcripts of Records that are issued by your higher education institution. Please note that you will be excluded from the procedure if you submit an unofficial Transcript of Records from the student portal or similar. 

  • Proof of previous periods of study

    We have to be aware of all periods of study that you have completed in Germany. Please provide the relevant documents of proof as part of your application. For example:

    • Enrollment Certificate
    • Confirmation of disenrollment
    • Transcript of records
    • Enrollment verification certificate

    If you have been enrolled in a degree program with similar content before in Germany, you must confirm that you are still eligible to take exams. In an application this documents is only required if you’ve already studied at a German higher education institution in Germany.

  • Confirmation of your eligibility to take exams

    If you are applying for admission to the second semester or a subsequent semester of a program (i.e. an advanced semester), you must submit proof from your current German higher education institution which confirms that you are still eligible to take the exams in the degree program. You also need to provide this confirmation if you have previously been enrolled at a higher education institution in Germany and are applying for a spot in the first semester of a similar degree program.

    There is no standardized procedure for proving your eligibility. Some German institutions include a statement on the transcript of records which confirms that the student is eligible to take exams, whereas others issue a letter to confirm the student’s eligibility. We have created a document, provided below, which you can also use to confirm your eligibility.

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Proof of language skills

    Proof of language proficiency is required for the following bachelor's programs (further details are provided in the respective selection statutes):

    • Business Administration
    • Business Informatics
    • Current English Linguistics and Literary Studies

Frequently asked questions

  • I am already enrolled at the University of Mannheim. Can I simply transfer to another program?

    Application is required for admission to our degree programs. If you are currently enrolled at the University of Mannheim and would like to change your degree program, you are still required to submit an application.

  • Can I apply for admission in the spring semester?

    Please note that you can only apply for admission to our bachelor's programs at the beginning of the fall semester. This applies to applications to the first semester as well as to applications to an advanced semester.

  • How many applications for admission to an advanced semester can I submit?

    You can submit up to three applications for admission to an advanced semester. It is only worth submitting more than one application if you have previously been enrolled in the degree programs you are applying for, or if you have completed coursework and examinations that are eligible for recognition. You must include the required documents with each application.

  • Why do I need to provide a module catalog?

    A module catalog is used to evaluate the coursework and examinations you have completed, and verify the specialized knowledge that you have acquired. That’s why you are asked to either provide a link to the module catalog for your previous degree program or upload a PDF version of the catalog as part of your online application. The examinations and coursework that you have completed can only be considered in your application if the competences you have obtained match those acquired in modules at the University of Mannheim.

  • Do I need to complete an aptitude test?

    A proof that you have passed an aptitude test is no longer required for the application to the bachelor's programs. You will have to submit it only after you have been granted an admission to a bachelor's program, during the enrollment at the University of Mannheim.

    This document doesn’t contain your results. It just proves that you have taken the test. You can find the aptitude tests, which are only available in German, here:

    Aptitude Test of the portal ''
    By taking the aptitude test, you can find out which programs best suit you. You’ll be given a certificate once the test is completed.

    SIT Aptitude Test
    As an alternative to the aptitude test, also a certificate which proves you have taken the Studium-Interessentest (SIT), an aptitude test created by the Higher Education Compass will be accepted.

    Career Counselling for Teachers
    During the enrollment for teacher education program or the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education, you must upload a document proving you have completed the Career Counselling for Teachers.

    Online Self-Assessment (OSA) Psych

    If you are admitted to our Bachelor in Psychology program, you have to upload the OSA-Psych during the enrollment.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    The information will be corrected in our database once we check your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    You can check the status of your application on the Application Management section of the portal.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Usually, we begin sending out official letters of admission to an advanced semester of a bachelor's program around the middle of August

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for first-year students and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar

Applying for the Correct Semester

First, second or third semester? For which subject-specific semester should I apply?

Recognition of Coursework and Examinations

What do I need to do to have my coursework and exams recognized?