Information for International Applicants Holding an International University Entrance Qualification

Please note that we can only accept international documents if they have been either issued in German or English language or translated into one of these two languages. In case the documents you would like to submit have been issued in another language, you need to submit a translation of the relevant documents in German or English in addition to the copy of the original certificate. Please note that any certificates and Transcripts of Records listing the grades of your coursework and examinations must be translated by a sworn translator.

Common university entrance qualifications

  • IB / GIB

    We have many applicants holding an International Baccalaureate (IB / GIB) diploma.
    Provided that the subjects, the level, and the grading system, etc. comply with our regulations, the IB diploma will be recognized as a valid university entrance qualification.

    The Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany (Kultusministerkonferenz, KMK) has issued a document outlining the guidelines for recognition of the IB diploma.

    Agreement on the Recognition of the “International Baccalaureate Diploma / Diplôme du Baccalauréat International (15 June 2023) – valid from 2025

    Agreement on the Recognition of the “International Baccalaureate Diploma / Diplôme du Baccalauréat International (24 March 2022) – valid until 2024

    If you do not have received your IB diploma by the application deadline, you can apply using your provisional transcript of grades.

  • General Certificate of Education – Advanced Level

    The General Certificate of Education Advanced Level / Advanced Subisidiary Level is a school-leaving certificate that is accepted as a university entrance qualification in Germany.

    However, in order for an A-Level to be recognized as university entrance qualification, it has to meet certain criteria. The Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen, ZAB) in Bonn, Germany, provides information in German on the recognition of A-Level certificates.

  • Assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) at a Studienkolleg

    Some international school-leaving certificates are not sufficient for direct admission to higher education in Germany. In these cases, you will have to first attend a Studienkolleg for one year and then take an assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung).

    We cooperate with the Studienkolleg at Heidelberg University. However, you can still apply to the University of Mannheim, if you have passed your assessment test at a different Studienkolleg. Please make sure that your assessment test is valid for all universities or higher education institutions in Germany.

    For your application to the University of Mannheim please submit both the certificate of the assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung) certifying the eligibility of an international applicant to attend a German higher education institution and your respective international school-leaving certificate.

    If you are not sure whether your assessment test can be recognized, please do not hestate to contact us at 

If you wish to apply for a bachelor's degree program at the University of Mannheim, and you are not sure whether your educational background can be considered a university entrance qualification in Germany please visit the website of the Central Office for Foreign Education (ZAB) in Bonn, Germany.
Under “Schulabschlüsse mit Hochschulzugang” you may find information regarding foreign university entrance qualifications and their equivalent in Germany.

Additional important country-specific information

  • China/India/Vietnam

    Applicants who obtained their university entrance qualification or degree in China, India or Vietnam, must also provide the original version of the APS Certificate issued by the Academic Evaluation Center (Akademische Prüfstelle) in the corresponding country.

    APS Certificate has to be submitted together with application documents by the application deadline. We are sorry to inform you that we do not offer extended deadline for the submission of the APS Certificate.

  • Italy

    Applicants who have completed their university entrance qualification in Italy must submit, in addition to the school leaving certificate, the annual reports of the last two school years together with a translation into German or English. If the school leaving certificate is not yet available, it is possible to apply with a document issued by the school, stating that you have completed your “Esame di maturità”. The official “Diploma di maturità” must be submitted subsequently in case of admission.

  • Austria

    Applicants who have obtained their school leaving certificate in Austria must submit the annual reports of the last two school years in addition to the diploma certificate.

  • Russia/Ukraine

    For applicants from Russia and Ukraine, periods of study are relevant for the university entrance qualification. If you have already studied in your home country, please upload a Transcript of Records together with your university entrance qualification documents.