Photo credit: Staatliche Schlösser und Gärten Baden-Württemberg

Preferential Admission

Preferential admission is given to successful applicants who have to delay starting university because they are completing an official volunteer service as defined by German regulations, such as a Voluntary Social Year (FSJ)federal volunteer service or voluntary military service in Germany. It means that successful applicants can reserve their study place. Their admission to a program remains valid during the next two selection processes.

All they have to do is reapply for a study place on the same degree program, and include the official letter of admission that they received previously, along with a certificate confirming the completion of an official volunteer service in their application documents. 

You Need to Submit the Following Documents

  • Application for admission form

    To apply to the university, you must sign and submit the original version of your completed application form. Once you have finished your online application, you will be able to download a PDF file containing your application form from the online application portal. If you are not in Germany during the application period, we recommend that you issue a letter of authorization so that somebody you trust can act on your behalf. 

  • University entrance qualification

    If you hold a German university entrance qualification, you must submit a notarized copy of it.
    Find out more about notarization.

    If you obtained your qualification abroad, you usually need to submit a notarized copy of the document issued by the Department of Evaluation and Recognition which recognizes you qualification as equivalent to a German qualification. 
    Find out more about the recognition of foreign qualifications

  • Official letter of admission

    You must include the official letter of admission which you received through the previous admissions process with your application.

  • Certificate confirming the completion of an official volunteer service

    In order to receive preferential admission, you must provide a notarized copy of a certificate confirming the completion of an official volunteer service as defined by German regulations.
    Find out more about notarization

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Aptitude test

    Applicants to bachelor’s programs have to include proof that they have taken an aptitude test with their application. This document doesn’t contain your results. It just proves that you have taken the test. You can find the aptitude tests, which are only available in German, here:

    What shall I study?
    By taking the aptitude test, you can find out which programs best suit you. You’ll be given a certificate once the test is completed.
    What shall I study?

    SIT Orientation Test
    As an alternative to the aptitude test, we also accept a certificate which proves you have taken the Studium-Interessentest (SIT), an orientation test created by the Higher Education Compass.

    Career Counselling for Teachers
    If you are applying for a teacher education program or the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education, you must include a document proving you have completed the Career Counselling for Teachers.

  • Proof of language proficiency

    Proof of language proficiency is required for the following bachelor's programs (further details are provided in the respective selection statutes):

    • Business Administration
    • Business Informatics
    • Current English Linguistics and Literary Studies

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a volunteer service?

    According to German regulations, official volunteer services include, for example, a Voluntary Social Year (FSJ), a voluntary ökologisches Jahr (FÖJ), federal volunteer service (BFD) or voluntary military service in Germany. You must complete the volunteer service for a specified period of time at a recognized German institution. This institution must then officially confirm your involvement. Some other volunteer services, such as the European Voluntary Service (EVS), can be completed outside of Germany. Unfortunately, you are not eligible for preferential admission if you work as an au pair, do an internship, or complete other voluntary activities.

  • How many applications can I submit after completing my volunteer service?

    If you are requesting preferential admission, please submit an application form for admission to the first semester of the bachelor's program that you have already been admitted to.
    If you have changed your mind about the subject you would like to study, you can, of course, give up your preferential admission and apply for a study place on another degree program. In this case, you will be treated like all other applicants.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    If you made a mistake on your application form, you can correct it, by hand, on the printed version of the form. Please make sure any corrections are easy to read. The corrected information will then be entered into our database once we receive your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

    Please note: You cannot change the degree program(s) to which you are applying in this way. To change program, you must delete your existing application and start again.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    You can check the status of your application on the Application Management section of the portal.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Usually, we begin sending out official letters of admission to the first semester of a bachelor's program in early August. If you apply for a degree program where study places are allocated using the dialog-oriented service procedure (, you will receive your official notification soon after you accept your offer of admission.

  • What is the difference between the official notification sent out by post and the one sent electronically?

    When applying online, you are asked whether you would like to receive your official notification electronically or by post. This does not alter the content of the official notification. You will receive the same document regardless of the option you choose. 
    Receiving the notification electronically is, naturally, faster than receiving it by post. You receive an e-mail from us which informs you that the official notification can be downloaded from the online application portal. If you live outside of Germany, you should choose to receive your official notification electronically.

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for freshmen and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar