Preferential Admission

Preferential admission is given to successful applicants who have to delay starting university because they are completing an official volunteer service as defined by German regulations, such as a Voluntary Social Year (FSJ)federal volunteer service or voluntary military service in Germany. It means that successful applicants can reserve their study place. Their admission to a program remains valid during the next two selection processes.

All you have to do is reapply for a study place on the same degree program, and include the official letter of admission that you received previously, along with a certificate confirming the completion of an official volunteer service in your application documents. 

Application Process

You Need to Submit the Following Documents

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a volunteer service?

    According to German regulations, official volunteer services include, for example, a Voluntary Social Year (FSJ), a voluntary ökologisches Jahr (FÖJ), federal volunteer service (BFD) or voluntary military service in Germany. You must complete the volunteer service for a specified period of time at a recognized German institution. This institution must then officially confirm your involvement. Some other volunteer services, such as the European Voluntary Service (EVS), can be completed outside of Germany. Unfortunately, you are not eligible for preferential admission if you work as an au pair, do an internship, or complete other voluntary activities.

  • How many applications can I submit after completing my volunteer service?

    If you are requesting preferential admission, please submit an application form for admission to the first semester of the bachelor's program that you have already been admitted to.
    If you have changed your mind about the subject you would like to study, you can also apply for a study place on another degree program. In this case, you will be treated like all other applicants.

  • Aptitude test

    A proof that you have passed an aptitude test is no longer required for the application to the bachelor's programs. You will have to submit it only after you have been granted an admission to a bachelor's program, during the enrollment at the University of Mannheim.

    This document doesn’t contain your results. It just proves that you have taken the test. You can find the aptitude tests, which are only available in German, here:

    Aptitude Test of the portal ''
    By taking the aptitude test, you can find out which programs best suit you. You’ll be given a certificate once the test is completed.

    SIT Aptitude Test
    As an alternative to the aptitude test, also a certificate which proves you have taken the Studium-Interessentest (SIT), an aptitude test created by the Higher Education Compass will be accepted.

    Career Counselling for Teachers
    During the enrollment for teacher education program or the bachelor’s program in Economic and Business Education, you must upload a document proving you have completed the Career Counselling for Teachers.

    Online Self-Assessment (OSA) Psych

    If you are admitted to our Bachelor in Psychology program, you have to upload the OSA-Psych during the enrollment.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    The information will be corrected in our database once we check your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    You can check the status in the online application portal.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Please take a look at our Dispatch Schedule. If you apply for a degree program where study places are allocated using the dialog-oriented service procedure (, you will receive your official notification soon after you accept your offer of admission.

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for first-year students and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar