Zwei Studentinnen sitzen auf dem Campus auf der Wiese und unterhalten sich.

Your Application for Admission to a Bachelor’s Program

Information for applicants from a country within the European Union or the European Economic Area who do not hold a German university entrance qualification.

Application process

You will need to submit the following documents

  • University entrance qualification

    Please submit a copy of your university entrance qualification (for example the Attestat, Matura or Baccalaureate) in the native language of the issuing institution. We also need a German or English translation of the qualification which has been issued by a sworn translator.

    You will probably have to submit a notarized copy of the university entrance qualification, which you have obtained abroad for your enrollment at the University of Mannheim.
    Find out more about notarization

    If your application is successful but the qualification, which you have obtained abroad is not sufficient to take up your studies at the University of Mannheim, we will enroll you at the Studienkolleg Heidelberg.

    International applicants with international university entrance qualification can find further relevant information here. We strongly advise this group of applicants to obtain comprehensive information.

  • Proof of German language proficiency

    If you are applying for a German taught program, please submit a proof that your proficiency in German is equivalent to at least level C1 (Goethe Zertifikat C2) of the common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). 
    Please note that you need German language proof for all bachelor's programs applications.

  • Proof of previous periods of study in Germany

    We have to be aware of all periods of study that you have completed in Germany. Please provide the relevant documents of proof as part of your application. For example:

    • Enrollment Certificate
    • Confirmation of disenrollment
    • Transcript of records
    • Enrollment verification certificate

    If you have been enrolled in a degree program with similar content before in Germany, you must confirm that you are still eligible to take exams. For the application, this documents is only required if you have already studied at a German higher education institution in Germany.

  • Proof of previous periods of study outside of Germany

    In order to account for any time you have spent studying abroad, you must provide official proof issued by the higher education institution which confirms your enrollment there. You must submit this proof in the native language of the issuing institution and a German or English translation.

  • CV

    You need a detailed, current curriculum vitae (CV).

  • Proof of language skills

    Nachweis von Sprachkenntnissen (Baustein)

    Proof of language proficiency is required for the following bachelor's programs (further details are provided in this summary and the respective selection statutes):

    • Business Administration
    • Business Informatics
    • Culture and Economy: English and American Studies
    • Current English Linguistics and Literary Studies
  • Proof of extracurricular activities

    Extracurricular activities are worth extra points in the selection process for many degree programs. We provide standardized forms in German and English to simplify the process and give you an overview of the required details.

Frequently asked questions

  • How many applications can I submit?

    You can submit up to three applications for admission to the first semester of selective bachelor’s degree programs.

  • Do I have to apply using uni-assist?

    The University of Mannheim does not work with uni-assist. All international applicants must therefore apply directly to the University of Mannheim. 

  • I have applied to the University of Mannheim before. Do I have to submit my documents again?

    Once the application process has been concluded, we destroy all applications as required by the data protection law.

  • Can I prove several facts using only one document?

    You may use one document to prove several requirements. Please upload it in all relevant upload fields then.

  • Do I need an aptitude test?

    An aptitude test can help you choose the right degree program. However, no aptitude test is required for the application. You only need it once you have been admitted to a bachelor's program and would like to accept the study place. No test results are shown on this certificate. It merely proves that you have completed one of the necessary aptitude tests..

    Please see the tests here:

    1. “Was studiere ich?” aptitude test
      The “Was studiere ich” (what should I study?) aptitude test provided by the Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts Baden-Württemberg will help you find out which degree program suits you best. You will receive a certificate of participation after completing the test.
      Was studiere ich?
    2. SIT aptitude test
      We also accept proof of the SIT aptitude test (Studium-Interessentest) provided by the German Rectors' Conference.
    3. Check-U
      The Federal Employment Agency offers the comprehensive  Check-U aptitude test.
    4.  Aptitude test for prospective teachers
        If you would like to enrol for a degree program in Teacher Education or Economic and Business Education, you must submit the Lehrerorientierungstest (aptitude test for prospective teachers).
    5. Online Self-Assessment (OSA) – OSA Psych
        In order to enrol in the bachelor's program in Psychology, uploading proof of the completed OSA-Psych is mandatory.
  • How do I apply for a place at the Studienkolleg?

    1. First, apply for admission to your chosen degree program at the University of Mannheim. Please note that we need to have received proof that your German language proficiency is equivalent to level C1 by the application deadline (15 July).
    2. Your application documents are used to check whether your university entrance qualification is equivalent to a university entrance qualification obtained in Germany. If this is not the case, you normally have to complete a course at a Studienkolleg before you can study. This means that, if your application is successful, you will be enrolled at a Studienkolleg instead of being directly admitted to the degree program. 
    3. In order to attend the Studienkolleg, you must pass an admissions test assessing your level of German language proficiency.
    4. Once you have completed one year at the Studienkolleg, you can take the assessment test (Feststellungsprüfung). Once you have taken the test, you can again apply for admission to your chosen degree program. You need to include the certificate which confirms you have passed the assessment test and your school-leaving certificate with your application.

    It is not possible to apply directly to the Studienkolleg Heidelberg. 
    Find out more about the Studienkolleg

  • Can I pursue a bachelor's program in English?

    None of the bachelor's programs available at the University of Mannheim are taught completely in English. Admission to these programs requires German language proficiency equivalent to at least C1 level of the CEFR. 

  • Can I prove my German language proficiency after the application period has closed?

    All international applicants to a bachelor's program must prove their German language proficiency at the time of application. Admission cannot be granted without this proof. All documents that are required for admission to the University of Mannheim must be received by the university before the application deadline. This means that you must prove your proficiency in German is equivalent to level C1 before the application period ends.

  • How can I correct a mistake on my application form?

    The information will be corrected in our database once we check your application. You do not need to delete the application and start again.

  • How can I check the status of my application?

    You can check the status in the online application portal.

  • When are the official notifications sent out?

    Please take a look at our Dispatch Schedule. If you apply for a degree program where study places are allocated using the dialog-oriented service procedure (, you will receive your official notification soon after you accept your offer of admission.

  • When does the lecture period begin and end?

    The University of Mannheim is the first public higher education institution in Germany to align its academic calendar with the international academic year. The orientation weeks for first-year students and exchange students always take place in the week before the lecture period begins. View the academic calendar


Aleksandra Kendzia

Aleksandra Kendzia

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 158
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181-3517
Fax: +49 621 181-1161
Philipp Staufer

Philipp Staufer

University of Mannheim
Dezernat II Bewerbungs- und Zulassungsstelle L 1, 1 (Eingang B) – Room 158
68161 Mannheim
Phone: +49 621 181-1259
Fax: +49 621 181-1161